[Uml-user] The Umbrello project

Sebastian Stein seb_stein at gmx.de
Fri Jul 16 01:48:01 UTC 2004

Karl Pettersson <serfimsvensson at yahoo.se> [040716 10:43]:
> I am a bit curious about for how long time the
> Umbrello project has existed and how many developers
> it has?

I quote the Umbrello handbook section "Authors and History":

"This project was started by Paul Hensgen as one of his University projects.
The original name of the application was UML Modeller. Paul did all the
development until the end of 2001 when the program reached version 1.0.

Version 1.0 already offered a lot of functionality, but after the project
had been reviewed at Paul's University, other developers could join and they
started making valuable contributions to UML Modeller, like switching from a
binary file format to an XML file, support for more types of UML Diagrams,
Code Generation and Code Import just to name a few.

Paul had to retire from the development team in Summer 2002 but, as Free and
Open Source Software, the program continues to improve and evolve, and is
being maintained by a group of developers from different parts of the world.
Also, in September 2002, the project changed its name from UML Modeller, to
Umbrello UML Modeller. There are several reasons for the change of names,
the most important ones being that just uml  as it was commonly known  was a
much too generic name and caused problems with some distributions. The other
important reason is that the developers think Umbrello is a much cooler
name."

And you asked how many developers are working on it. At the moment maybe 5,
but the real answer is that not enough developer are working on it ;-)

Sebastian
--
Umbrello UML Modeller
Description     : UML diagram drawing tool for KDE with code generation