[Uml-user] umbrello package build challenge

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Fri Dec 26 12:03:01 UTC 2003

On Fri, Dec 26, 2003 at 06:29:37PM +0100, Gerhard Landsmann wrote:

> I've got a challenge with building the umbrello-package.
> As umbrello 1.1.1 (KDE3.1.4) is part of the SuSE9.0 package I installed it and
> found it very useful for some first steps.
> So I tried to use umbrello to analyse it's own sourcecode (code import works
> great!).
> But: No associations between the classes where detected properly, giving me a
> hard time to make class diagrams and find the relationship between the
> classes. Instead all association are interpreted as attributes, so no
> association links are displayed automatically in the
> class-diagrams.

That's right, code import doesn't generate diagrams or associations.

> I tried
> to fix it by modifying the code of the source code importer scanning for
> potential associations.

Very brave of you.  If you're trying to work on Umbrello you should
use the version in KDE's CVS, Umbrello 1.2-beta.

> Now I have some trouble:
> KDevelop refused to build the original package.
> Following your INSTALL directions, I fail at the first step:
>
> > make -f Makefile.cvs??????????results in the following message:
> >>
> >>"This Makefile is only for the CVS repository
> >>
> >>*** Creating acinclude.m4
> >>!!! If you get recursion errors from autoconf, it is advisable to set the
> >> ? ?environment variable M4 to something including "--nesting-limit=500"
> >>*** Creating list of subdirectories
> >>*** Creating configure.in
> >>*** Creating aclocal.m4
> >>*** Creating configure
> >>configure.in:99: error: m4_popdef: undefined macro: AC_Dest
> >>/usr/src/packages/BUILD/autoconf-2.57/lib/autoconf/status.m4:844:
> >>AC_CONFIG_FILES is expanded from...
> >>configure.in:99: the top level
> >>autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
> >>make[1]: *** [cvs] Fehler 1
> >>make: *** [all] Fehler 2 "
> ?
> > ./configure --prefix=/opt/kde3????????????????works fine (!) instead.
>
> As I am not an expert for Linux build configuration management (autoconf,
> automake, aclocal etc.) and regular expressions (egyptian hieroglyphs would
> tell me more) I am really stuck for the moment and need some hints to get it
> done.

Experts on GNU build configuration are few and far between.

Did it work in the first place before your edits?  What versions of
autoconf and automake do you have?  What happens if you do make -f
Makefile.cvs from the command line without KDevelop?  Have you tried KDevelop3?

> Merry Christmas!

A happy Hogmany to all.

Jonathan