[Uml-user] umbrello package build challenge

Gerhard Landsmann gerhard.landsmann at gmx.de
Fri Dec 26 11:36:00 UTC 2003

Hello Umbrello Team,

I've got a challenge with building the umbrello-package.
As umbrello 1.1.1 (KDE3.1.4) is part of the SuSE9.0 package I installed it and
found it very useful for some first steps.
So I tried to use umbrello to analyse it's own sourcecode (code import works
great!).
But: No associations between the classes where detected properly, giving me a
hard time to make class diagrams and find the relationship between the
classes. Instead all association are interpreted as attributes, so no
association links are displayed automatically in the class-diagrams. I tried
to fix it by modifying the code of the source code importer scanning for
potential associations.

Now I have some trouble:
KDevelop refused to build the original package.
Following your INSTALL directions, I fail at the first step:

> make -f Makefile.cvs          results in the following message:
>>
>>"This Makefile is only for the CVS repository
>>
>>*** Creating acinclude.m4
>>!!! If you get recursion errors from autoconf, it is advisable to set the
>>    environment variable M4 to something including "--nesting-limit=500"
>>*** Creating list of subdirectories
>>*** Creating configure.in
>>*** Creating aclocal.m4
>>*** Creating configure
>>configure.in:99: error: m4_popdef: undefined macro: AC_Dest
>>/usr/src/packages/BUILD/autoconf-2.57/lib/autoconf/status.m4:844:
>>AC_CONFIG_FILES is expanded from...
>>configure.in:99: the top level
>>autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
>>make[1]: *** [cvs] Fehler 1
>>make: *** [all] Fehler 2 "

> ./configure --prefix=/opt/kde3                works fine (!) instead.

As I am not an expert for Linux build configuration management (autoconf,
automake, aclocal etc.) and regular expressions (egyptian hieroglyphs would
tell me more) I am really stuck for the moment and need some hints to get it
done. I looked through the FAQs to fix this issue, but didn't find a
corresponding issue and I don't have is time to wait for it.
So please consider to reply.

kind regards and thank you in advance
Merry Christmas!
Gerhard