[Uml-user] Is it possible to make substates in Umbrello's State-Diagram ?

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Sat Aug 23 16:08:04 UTC 2003

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 11:44:13AM +0200, jurge.van.eijck at philips.com wrote:
>    Is it possible to draw substates in the Umbrello's state-diagram. I
>    didn't read anything about it in the FAQ or documentation.

Currently there is no direct way to have state diagrams within state
diagrams, which I think is what you're asking.  The same is true for
the other types of diagram.

Currently the only way is to have a state, call is Diagram-Foo and if
you want more detail and diagram called Foo which models the behaviour
of Diamgram-Foo.

I'd like to see this change but it's quite complex as it involves
changes to the internal representation as well as the graphical stuff.

>    [Background Info]
>    I would like to use it for describing behavior for a robotic
>    soccer-robot (see www.robocup.org for info). There is
>    simple language (stactics: state and tactics) developed for the
>    behavior. But there is no graphical interface, this will be very
>    helpfull.
>    If it is possible to have substates, I can convert the XMI-file into
>    the language, which is compiled by the Stactics-compiler
>    The output of the stactics compiler: a state-table (activities and
>    transitions per state) is given to the state-machine of the robot.

Converting state diagrams to programming language is of course not
something Umbrello does either.  It would be interesting to see it
done.

Hopefully what you want is still achieveable.  Let us know how you get
on.

Jonathan Riddell