[Uml-user] UMI Question re: UMLAssocWidget tag

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Thu Apr 10 15:51:05 UTC 2003

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003, Mark Priest wrote:

> Can you please explain what the totalcounta, indexa, totalcountb, and indexb
> attributes mean in the UMLAssocWidget tag?  This tag results from a state
> transition between two states in a state diagram.  Here is an excerpt of the
> XMI I am trying to interpret.
>
> <UML:AssocWidget
>   totalcounta="3"
>   indexa="2"
>   totalcountb="2"
>   indexb="1"
>   widgetbid="30"
>   widgetaid="28"
>   documentation=""
>   type="514" >
> <UML:FloatingTextWidget usesdiagramfillcolour="1" width="0"
> usesdiagramusefillcolour="1" x="657" linecolour="none" y="401" operation=""
> usesdiagramlinecolour="1" role="703" fillcolour="none" height="0"
> usefillcolor="1" seqnum="" xmi.id="-1" text="state4-6choice" font="Nimbus
> Sans l,8,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0" />
> </UML:AssocWidget>

It's to do with the number of other associations attached to the widget
on the same side or diagonal of the widget, from which the exact position
of the association is calculated.  I think.

>From associationwidgetdata.h

	/**
	* 	The total amount of associations on the region widget a
line is on.
	*/
	int m_nTotalCountA;

	/**
	*	The total amount of associations on the region widget b
line is on.
	*/
	int m_nTotalCountB;

> I believe the widgetaid and widgetbid refer to the xmi.id attributes of the
> state objects connected by the transition.

That sounds about right.

> I am trying to use the XMI as
> input to some processing logic.

I should point out, incase you're under any dilusions, that the XMI isn't
very scrict or valid XMI.  But then again neither is the XMI from any
other programme.

Jonathan Riddell