[Uml-user] Q: printing available?

Heiko Nardmann h.nardmann at secunet.de
Wed Oct 16 05:40:03 UTC 2002

On Mittwoch, 16. Oktober 2002 14:06, you wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 16. Oktober 2002 13:12 schrieb Heiko Nardmann:
> > On Mittwoch, 16. Oktober 2002 12:50, you wrote:
> > > Hi, Heiko

> > > what version of umbrello do you use, the current CVS version or the tar
> > > file from the download page?
> >
> > Version 1.1 from download page.
> >
> > > Can you send me your uml example for testing the printing feature with
> > > respect of your example? Printing is implemented but not very well. An
> > > empty sheet of paper I did not expect.
> >
> > It is really a simple example as you see.
> >
> > > Regards
> > >
> > > Jens

> Ok, it looks like a printer problem. The printing system of KDE/Qt outputs
> allways in a postscript format, so there should no differences in printing
> to file or printer exist.
> If your printer system does not support the printing of the postscript file
> you may have some trouble. In this case try to print some graphics from
> another KDE or Qt program. What kind of distribution do you use.

I am printing from KMail e.g. to the printer (HP 2200 PS printer at network)
without problems. I am using SuSE 8.0 with KDE 3.0.3. The printing of the PS
file afterwards using gv (which uses lpr) works fine, too. Curious ... okay,
so I know a workaround for this printing problem and that is enough for now.
But thanks for your responses.

I will continue to use umbrello to deepen my UML knowledge (which has been so
far only theoretical - no practical use so far - pity).
Other tools which I have looked at have been implemented in most cases in Java
which is too slow for my environment. And kUML does not seem to advance
further. I don't know whether there is anything in kUML development which can
be reused in umbrello.

> Jens
>
> > Interesting enough is the fact that the real printer (via lpd) does not
> > show up with the graphics but inside the PostScript file which I tried
> > afterwards the gfx is there. Hmm ...
> >
> > Even more interesting is that printing this PostScript file results in a
> > fully correct piece of paper ... :-( (printed from gv)
> >
> > Is printing to lp handled differently from printing to PostScript file in
> > KDE?
> >
> > Or what might be the reason for this?

- --
Heiko Nardmann (Dipl.-Ing.), h.nardmann at secunet.de, Software Development
secunet Security Networks AG - Sicherheit in Netzwerken (www.secunet.de),
Weidenauer Str. 223-225, D-57076 Siegen
Tel. : +49 271 48950-13, Fax  : +49 271 48950-50