[umbrello-devel] Participation in the Umbrello Project

Ralf Habacker ralf at habacker.de
Fri Feb 20 07:47:46 UTC 2015

Am 16.02.2015 um 03:44 schrieb Felix Seib:
> Hallo,
> my name is Felix Seib.
> I'm interested in participating in the umbrello project.
>
> I thought about writing my own CASE-System. I have used a few of the
> commercial systems,
> and with each I am missing helpful features. Further, there is no
> useable open source full-size CASE-System,
> except the Umbrello-Project. The Umbrello Project is far enough
> developed to think about integrating
> my ideas into umbrello,
Nice to hear :-)
It's interesting that at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer-aided_software_engineering
umbrello is mentioned as an example.
> rather than writing a completely new program.
> Therefore I would like you to give me feedback whether these ideas fit
> into the goals of the Umbrello project.
You are very welcome to contribute to umbrello.
> I have several ideas, from small changes and additions to new big
> features. Here is a list of my ideas:
>
> Small ideas:
>
> -Templates for Use Case describtions
>
> -Additional Bending Modes for lines in the diagramms.
>
> -Make the View Tree more flexible, for example that you can configure
> the Tree View.
>
> -Improve Crow's foot notation for Entity-Relationship-Model
>

> Big ideas:
>
> - Add network support, so that more users can work on one project.
>
> - Improve the code generation and the code import to support round
> trip engeneering
>
> - Devide Umbrello to K-Parts to make it possible to integrate as
> addons to kdevelop
>
> - Add software metric tools
It would be nice to have some more details, so you may take some time to
inspect the wish list at https://umbrello.kde.org/developers.php to sync
your ideas. You may open new features requests or add your ideas to
already present feature requests.

> At last I have to say that I am new to kde and Qt development.
For some umbrello related developer hints see "developer resources" at
https://umbrello.kde.org
> Are there any simple tasks that I can work on to make myself familiar
> with the code base?

At https://umbrello.kde.org/developers.php you will find a list of open
bugs including junior bugs.

Best regards