[Uml-devel] Git-Migration

Emmanuel Lepage-Vallée elv1313 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 04:32:50 UTC 2012

Hi, my vast array of spybot detected I was needed in this discussion
(joking, I am just member of the list). So yes, I was previously interested
in switching to git. I have several branches myself already using git, but
it is not a migration, nothing like one.

So point by point (read previous email):
#1:
Umbrello can still be part of KDESDK and be in a separate repository, just
like Kate. Git does not really handle subprojects in repositories, so it is
the only way to go. I don't think we can keep sharing the same repositories
as KDESDK. No other KDE project did when migrating.

#2:
Yes, it need to be done

#3:
I think we need to move it. We can ask on #kde-sysadmin for a better
opinion,

#4:
All of them, but keep the log of master while integrating the other one as
a single block of the git and make them ready for a "git merge master"
(when possible/applicable). Like that it would be possible to start
cherry-picking commits or merging different branches. I think using trunk
as the master is the best idea to keep the best possible commit log.

#5-6:
Guys on #kde-sysadmin probably know better they did a lot of project
migration.

#7:
I have started a migration some months ago, but gave up after having some
problems. I code on many projects, but not at once, so until I come back to
Umbrello, I can't put much time on this. I work almost full time as a IT
consultant and got full time at school at once, so I have limited time, I
can only work on one project at once. Right now I have pressure from my
users to work on something else, so until it is done Umbrello will have to
wait. I still think my code is useful for the project and deserve to be
merged for what it add. But not right now and not for the next ~2 month.

#8:
We should use KDE identity service and let anybody with a KDE account work
on the project. It is what is so great about KDE, we are one community, not
a bunch of loosely related ones. I don't see any reasons why this should
change. As for repo maintainer, it can be decided later. SVN never really
required one. While having a "master integrator" in git is useful, it is
not mandatory.

#9:
Yes, but not at this time. Everything else can wait until the transition is
done. We need to see the branching model we will use (one branch per
bug/feature or 1 branch per dev (personal playground model)?)