[Uml-devel] xmi differences between umbrello and umbrello-soc

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Fri Aug 14 15:46:02 UTC 2009

Gopala Krishna schrieb:
> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 10:02 PM, Ralf Habacker<ralf.habacker at freenet.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> today i tried to compile and run the umbrello-soc branch on windows. While
>> it looks very nice and the item selecting and resizing works very good I
>> then tried to load some files from the umbrello trunk version, which fails
>> in some areas.
>> [snip]
>>

> Hi Ralf,
>  Thanks for testing umbrello-soc :-)
> I don't know why, but I was stupid to use different XMI format for few
> widgets -
> AssociationLine (LinePath in umbrello-trunk), MessageWidget..
> But, thats fixable.. My next goal is that.
>
> As my commit r1010486 indicates, I am now just left with one method to
> port in AssociationWidget. After, this my next goal is to fix
> anomalies (regressions) like the above ones.

fine,

one additional topic which comes into my mind is that the new widgets
are bigger than in the trunk version, which breaks some drawings. You
may take a look at the following example
http://websvn.kde.org/*checkout*/trunk/kdesupport/emerge/doc/refactoring.xmi?content-type=text%2Fplain

I don't know if you have already thought about a kind of selectable
widgets style library. One of the styles should use the dimensions of
the trunk release and should be selected by default.

> I hope umbrello-soc to be usable as trunk except cut-copy, undo-redo
> by this weekend..

fine
> I have plans to implement cut-copy and undo-redo from scratch starting
> from next week. Any suggestions and help is appreciated :)

It would be nice to have a better multiple select/cut-copy operation.

1. If you try to copy and paste several widgets from any diagram in the
above mentioned xmi files, all copied widgets are placed in the upper
left corner.
-> I suggest to insert them under the current mous position indicating
the left upper corner of inseration

2. Also they lose their relative positions together.
-> they should have the same relative positions together

3. you copy a text box and note box for example the initial size will be
lost.
-> the width and height of copied widgets should be copied too

4. Dependencies are lost after paste too (at least in the use case
diagram and the Build system related diagram  )
If you copy/paste the SourceBase class from the CMakePackageBase
hierachy diagram, the visible inheritance relation is lost and a former
not displayed composition relation is displayed.
-> the pasted widgets should have the same displayed relations as the
original

5. Also there seems to be a attribute copying problems when you try to
copy one of the use cases on the right side in the diagram 'use cases
with actions and action options'. The color will not be copied.
-> all display attributes should be copied

6. Undoing a multiple widgets paste operation does not work. It only
deletes one of the widgets or nothing.
-> undo should unpaste all pasted widgets

What i can do also is to do some tests on the implemention and to give
feedback and to invite other people on the kde-windows mailing list for
additional help. Because soc-umbrello is on windows buildable as easy as
the trunk umbrello I guess there will several people try compiling and
testing too.

May be you can document the planned features and design (with umbrello?)
to give others an quick overview.

Regards
 Ralf