[Uml-devel] Selection handling now fixed for some part

Achim Spangler Achim.Spangler at mnet-online.de
Sun Sep 3 21:01:24 UTC 2006

Hi,

as the selection handling caused for me a big problem in my daily usage, some
of the biggest problems are fixed by the attached patch.

One big request:
Could developers who change working thing be more active in haunting bugs in
future?
Before some deeper changes in selection handling, things worked much better.

There are still some problems:
+ proper init of selection is sometimes very slowly
  -> you have to press for some time on a notewidget to get its documentation
     text displayed in the DOC area of the main app
  -> a right click on a messagewidget / association has to be performed for
     some few seconds (and not just down->up) to get the _right_ context menu
     that displays the options for the selected message / association

+ (maybe the reason of above) there are still some strange loops of
  event chains (e.g. UMLWidgets::setSelected() is called very often
  - much more often than awaited)
* there are still some cases, where some long running loop of widget
  selections are occuring - they end sometimes - dependend on amount
  of widgets in the diagram

Biggest enhancements:
+ deselection by clicking on background calls now
  UMLWidget::setSelection(false) to get a proper deselection of all
  corresponding states and floatingTexts
+ resize of asynchronous message in sequence diagram works now again robust
+ some selection handling functions checked for exact selection of ONE widget
  - but they didn't filter the FloatingText widgets out
  ==> even if the action just needed ONE UML_WIDGET, it didn't work for most
      times as the connected FloatingText objects were counted too
  (I added the filterText feature in UMLView::getSelectionCount() )

I hope, that some other developers might jump in and help to get the selection
handling again working in an optimal way.

Thanks,
Achim