[Uml-devel] Interfacing with Umbrello XMI

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Thu Nov 16 02:26:09 UTC 2006

On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 06:09:27PM -0800, Holger Kurt Ludwig wrote:
> I've been using the Rational Rose Suite before and found
> Umbrello quite intuitive to handle.
>
> For me a very interesting feature is that it uses XMI
> as native fileformat.
> I've recently started a project at sourceforge called
> "cont2wiki" which is intended to act as a, mostly
> script-based, integration platform for case/uml/erm-tools
> with adaptors to 4GL-tools like BBS/Wiki/CMS suites.
>
> For this project it would make a lot of sense to develop
> a tool which transforms fragments of XMI-files to XSD's
> for further processing and merging with view-XSD's and
> business logic objects like stored procedures.
>
> Because I intend to deploy most Umbrello for of the
> project-related OOA/D it would give me a double benefit
> to early schedule development of an interface to Umbrello.

I'm cc-ing uml-devel since that is a better contact that e-mailing me
directly.  This sounds like an interesting tool you are working on, if
it works with Umbrello I'm happy to publicise it on our webpage.
Beware that XMI is not a very standard format so making your tool work
with XMI from one programme will still need a lot of work to get it to
understand XMI from another programme.

Jonathan