[Uml-devel] argoUML-like association placing

Marius Helf marius.helf at gmx.de
Thu Feb 23 11:37:02 UTC 2006

Hello,

I have been using Umbrello for quite a while, but there always was one thing I
was not happy with: the automatic placing of associations.
As now a nice flu seems to be in love with me, I had some time to implement an
argoUML-like behaviour, meaning:

- umbrello tries to create "straight" lines (meaning horizontal or vertival)
- if that is not possible, it tries to get as near as possible to that aim
- you can move a straight line by dragging it with the mouse (if it is a
direct connection between two classes)
- if moving the line itself is not possible, it inserts a new moving point at
the mouse position; this is removed, if it is seated on a straight line
between its neighbours after moving

- adding and removing moving points via double click is still possible

If someone is interested in this code (and can tell me how to create a
patch ;), I will post a patch to this list. My work is done on 1.5.1 source
though, because I could not compile the svn-version (kept demanding qt4).

Yours,

Marius