[Uml-devel] Umbrello usage issues

P. Fleury fleury at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Sep 9 00:42:01 UTC 2005

On Friday 09 of September 2005 07:48, Alan Ezust wrote:
> > > 6) Ability to set volatile on attribute. This would not show up on the
> > > class diagram, but would be in the generated code.
> >
> > Could you explain; what is "volatile"?
> > (I don't recall having seen it in the UML standard.)
>
> Dunno whether it is available in UML. It's a C++ specific feature that
> permits const member functions to modify certain members of "this" if they
> are marked volatile. Basically, it means that a volatile member is always
> modifiable.

what you describe is 'mutable'  :-)

'volatile' instructs that access to the memory location of that a variable may
change from external uncontrolled events (state of a hardware register is a
common example), so that the compiler's optimizer should not collapse
multiple reads of that memory into a single read (in a loop, say) because the
value may have changed and needs to be read again.

-pascal