[Uml-devel] usability suggestions

Andrew Sutton asutton at cs.kent.edu
Thu Sep 23 03:30:01 UTC 2004

On Thursday 23 September 2004 12:00 am, Stefan Seefeld wrote:
> Andrew Sutton wrote:
> > even if there were, there has been some discussion, some of it going back
> > over a year, about some other issues with the umbrello organization. one
> > of the other wishlist items was better modularization - specifically
> > using kparts for each of the various diagram types. another was a better
> > rendering canvas. these items alone would require a fairly significant
> > rewrite and if they were to happen, that might be a more appropriate time
> > to consider using the omf.
>
> yeah. Well, it sounds as if the most complex part of an uml modeler is,
> well, the model :-) The other end is the GUI, and in the middle is some
> stateful `gui model` (diagram layout, shapes / shape state, and associated
> logic).

i don't know. the model isn't that bad... i see the major components the same
way: model elements, visual elements, gui.

> Is there some discussion / documentation about the current architecture /
> high level design that talks about these sub-domains ? That would be useful
> to evaluate the efford needed to move forward with this, wouldn't it ?

i'm not sure there's anything but a design. you *might* be able to extrapolate
some of this information by mining the list archives, but i don't really
know. it might be worth writing up as a motivating factor for a rewrite. of
course, you'll want a consensus on moving forward. otherwise, you'll end up
with just another umbrello2. hahaha. that's what happened to me :)

andrew sutton
asutton at cs.kent.edu