[Uml-devel] Real Fix of UMLWidget::adjustAssocs() and Repair of MessageWidget load

Achim Spangler Achim.Spangler at mnet-online.de
Wed Jul 21 09:17:01 UTC 2004

Thanks Seb for your apply,

Am Mittwoch, 21. Juli 2004 17:16 schrieb Sebastian Stein:
> Achim Spangler <Achim.Spangler at mnet-online.de> [040721 17:08]:
>
> I applied your patch.
>
> > Hmmh - I think we need some way of automatic test suites, so that it gets
> > easier to avoid such bugs.
>
> Yes of course, but nobody had the time to add such things. I tried a little
> bit the boost test lib (see kdeedu/kbruch/testcases), but it is a huge
> task.
Yes - this would mean a lot of work.
But then we should create some guidelines and test project files, which should
be manually checked, before a patch is applied.

Maybe it could be helpful to use the kdBacktrace() function more, before a
central function is changed.
So I got already for two problems a quick overview on the call graphs.

It could be also a help to create a doxygen doc with daily snaphots from CVS
which are then placed in the developer group of the umbrello website.

=> doxygen does a good job on retrieving call graphs

OK - each developer could do this also locally. But I think most developers -
including me - are not interested in local recreation of documentation after
each CVS change.

#
Maybe we should also try to establish some patch guidelines like:
+ as small as possible
+ explicit description of the intended change
   --> indicator for other developers to check this and related features
        immediately after the commit
+ list changed functions - and how they depend on each other
   --> if somebody has already worked with a function very often, so that
         he knows some possible problems, then his warning bells can ring
         so that he can have a look at the changes

This sounds like a lot of overhead.
But I think it would help to optimize the stability also in the CVS version.

Bye,
Achim