[Uml-devel] Suggestion: Use temp file also for local save

Achim Spangler Achim.Spangler at mnet-online.de
Tue Jul 13 03:07:15 UTC 2004

Hi,
umbrello uses at the moment a direct save into the target file, if the file is
_not_ on network.

This can result in broken files, if umbrello crashes during the write process.

So I suggest to use a temp file for all cases.
As soon as the temp file is written, we can use a KIO job to move the temp
file to the target position/name. As this KIO job should hopefully use some
robust and quick system calls, this process should run save.

This would allow us, to insert step by step some success checks for saveToXMI,
so that we can restrict the overwrite of the target file to cases where the
saveToXMI process is running without faults.

If this suggestion looks sensible to you, you can simply commit the attached
small diff.

Bye,
Achim