[Uml-devel] Tracing the problems with operations..

Sebastian Stein seb_stein at gmx.de
Fri Feb 6 13:47:10 UTC 2004

Brian Thomas <thomas at mail630.gsfc.nasa.gov> [040206 22:14]:
> 	I believe it goes back to the following patch:

Yes, I also think so, please see my comment to bug #73926. I haven't
reverted the patch at the moment, because I hope someone could stand up and
explain me what the idea behind the commit was.

> 	The implementation is missing the appropriate connect statements in
> 	init() method of classfier class, as well as a screwy method called
> 	checkOperationSignature().

The idea behind the method is mostly ok. It should ensure, that you can add
operations with the same name, but with a different signature (overloading).
The problem I see is, that this function is not used correctly by the
operation property dialog. Because you can change an already existing
operation. Before applying the updates to the operation, the method you
mentioned is called. So the old function is not removed yet and we might
find it again in the list. This could lead to a problem.

> 	Why was this allowed in the package on the 16th of January? Was it a bug
> 	fix? It doesnt look like it to me, but rather some hacking motivated by
> 	"cleaning up" the code, which should have waited until *after* release.

I think we (and I also mean me) were too lazy. Reviewing patches is a hard
work. You have to think about something, you are not dealing with at the
moment. This sometimes fails.

I think we should learn for the next release cycle. But I don't like to
blame one person for it, because we all had the chance to review the patch
or even revert it!

> 	My vote is that this change be backed out of the system.

If we don't find out what the real idea behind is, yes, this is the way to
go.

Umbrello UML Modeller
Description     : UML diagram drawing tool for KDE with code generation
Homepage        : http://www.umbrello.org/
Bug Reports     : http://bugs.kde.org/
CVS             : kdesdk/umbrello on cvs.kde.org:/home/kde