[Uml-devel] kdesdk/umbrello/umbrello

Sebastian Stein seb_stein at gmx.de
Wed Oct 1 09:26:02 UTC 2003

Brian Thomas <thomas at mail630.gsfc.nasa.gov> [031001 18:02]:
> usability fix: Why is the default attribute 'private'? Many UML diagrams
> are to display the functioning of the classes publically,

Functioning is done with operations and not over attributes.

> so it is of the most value for the designer to have public (and protected)
> attributes on the diagram. Revert to old way; I get tired of having to
> change every attribute I create back to public

Well, it should be a configurable option, but for the common case it must be
private. Because it is the thing of classes to hide attributes to the
outside over interfaces. No one really should access them directly.

Of course there may be other cases where it would be better to have it
public by default, but a default value could only have one value and you
can't satisfy all people with it...

If I remember right, we had a bug report for this case which forced us to
make it private by default. This is some time ago, I think it was before KDE
inclusion.

Nevertheless, please revert your change and maybe make it a configurable
option.

Umbrello UML Modeller
Description     : UML diagram drawing tool for KDE with code generation
Homepage        : http://www.umbrello.org/
Bug Reports     : http://bugs.kde.org/
CVS             : kdesdk/umbrello on cvs.kde.org:/home/kde