[Uml-devel] UML question

Brian Thomas thomas at mail630.gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu May 29 07:53:11 UTC 2003

On Sunday 25 May 2003 11:00 pm, pf wrote:

> I also think that an aggregation give an information about the relations
> of the life-time of the related objects. Hence the filled and unfilled
> diamonds in some relations (aggregation is filled). The 1..* relation
> does not indicate any life-time issue, and my understanding of UML is
> that you can use it for things which can be dynamically associated. This
> also matches your car+wheel+people example.

	This is more or less true.

	My understanding is that when the diamond is filled, the association is
	known as a "composition". A composition differs from the aggregation
	in that the child classes are considered part of the parent class, and are
	destroyed when the parent is destroyed (even if there is a pointer to that
	child class from another class).

						=b.t.

--

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife in the shoulder blades will seriously
cramp his style.