[Uml-devel] UML question

P. Fleury fleury at users.sourceforge.net
Tue May 27 18:31:03 UTC 2003

Andrew Sutton wrote:

>we're getting closer :)

:-D

>an association with a hollow diamond is shared aggregration. in otherwords,
>something else is the actual owner, but this uses them too. i'm not sure that
>this is really so different than non-aggregate associations.

I think this may indicate a constraint of the life-time of the related
objects. In the non-aggregate association, objects on either end may
disappear (deleted in C++ parlance) at any time, but with the hollow
diamond, you indicate that if this happens, we've got a problem. How you
implement that is another story, and the raison d'etre of all the memory
leak checkers and debugger I guess :-)

--pf