[Uml-devel] Bug or feature? Cant have same class appear more than once in class diagram

Brian Thomas thomas at mail630.gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed May 14 12:13:07 UTC 2003

	Hi all,

	The message below prompts me to remember an irritation that I
	have with Umbrello: You cant have the same class appear more
	than once in each class diagram. I find this a irriating because I
	may re-use a class many times in association with another class.
	Consider the following example:

	Sentence   -    <subject>  - Topic

          <predicate>

          Topic

	where lines are assoications between classes and brakets describe
        the name of the associations ("Sentence" and "Topic" are the 2 classes).

	I can see a possible counterargument that it becomes hard to generate code
        when a class appears more than one time in a diagram, but am not 100%
        sure its so bad.

	Comments? I guess I lean towards removing this limitation in Umbrello
        if its not too hairy. I dont see any problem with UML rules as to why this
        cant happen.

				-b.t.

--

The most important early product on the way to developing a good product
is an imperfect version.