[Uml-devel] AssociationWidget/AssociationWidgetData merge

Oliver Kellogg Oliver.Kellogg at t-online.de
Mon May 12 22:36:05 UTC 2003

Jonathan Riddell wrote:

> Nobody is working to get rid of it.  If you want to get rid of
> AssociationWidgetData you'd probably be best to get rid of all the *Data
> classes.  You'd have to be very careful not to introduce bugs and to keep
> compatibility with the file format.

Yes.
Not having any design documentation, I am trying to reconstruct
what the initial intention of the Widget/WidgetData separation was.
Somewhere in the code I found a comment that says, to separate
the diagram aspects from the storage aspects. The intention may be
good, but using separate instances creates problems keeping the
two in synch.

Why not use inheritance? (Widget and WidgetData are always
hard linked in a one-to-one relation, no?)
Perhaps it's not necessary to "get rid" of the WidgetData
class, just make it a further parent of the Widget class.

--Oliver