[Uml-devel] Re: karbon/umbrello

Andrew Sutton asutton at mcs.kent.edu
Mon May 12 11:10:22 UTC 2003

okay... i've figured out an integration plan for karbon/kpainter drawing
frameworks. it works out in my own head pretty well... we'll see how it
translates to code :)

its based, for the most part, on the maturity of the karbon framework. i think
there's some better object-orientation of drawing concepts in several places
- particularly the painter framework (like fills, strokes, gradients,
patterns, etc.). i also think that KPainter has a slightly better hierarchy
for things like patterns (image pattern, solid pattern, etc). i can't find
any rationale for why those wouldn't be split into subclasses of a base
pattern class. it's a better separation of concerns. interfaces on kpainter
will be modified to reflect these changes.

as for the object model - KShape stays and so does VObject. i'm going to
replace KVectorPath with VObject in the inheritance hierarchy. I think that
provides a really interesting way of looking at the object model. one branch
deals with really primitive shapes like rectangles and ellipses while the
other implements a pretty complicated SVG-like object model. it should be
sufficient for just about any application wanting to use the kpainter lib.

i'm still not sure on KCanvas. i suspect that i'm going to have KCanvasElement
be a wrapper of either a KShape. maybe. i still need to figure this out a
little bit better.

i'm also not entirely sure what changes would have to be made to other
subdirectories within KPainter to support these changes... anyways, i'm sure
i'm skipping some stuff, but that's the basic gist of it. and no... i'm not
going to commit any changes. i'll just send a giant patch when i'm done in a
couple days :)

any thoughts?

andy