[Uml-devel] u2 user interface

Andrew Sutton ansutton at kent.edu
Tue Mar 25 07:03:06 UTC 2003

> This seems to complex for me. Tomorrow I will make some screenshots of a
> program called Aris. It is a business process modelling tool and I think a
> business organisation modell is as complex as a software (UML) modell. So I
> will show you how they handle it...

sounds good. always looking for good examples.

> I thought about the current property dialogs in umbrello (version 1).

i really like the property dialogs. we need better icons ;) and we'll need to
do some work on various widgets - like class selection and stereotype
selection.

> Maybe we should take a look in the area of data warehouses and data marts.
> I like to mention some terms like:
>
> - drill down and roll up
> - slice and dice
> - visualize (change kind of visualization like pie or bar chart)
> - drill-trough
> - pivot
>
> These are technics to view a data warehouse in different views for
> different tasks. I haven't seen a very good tool for visualization in this
> sector, but it is possible to do these operations with Excel on
> spreedsheets.

it might not hurt to provide definitions of some of these things - i'm not
really sure what they all are. i know what drill down is. i suspect that roll
up is moving to a higher level of abstraction. slice and dice? creating views
based on dynamic queries?

if we can find ways to support these visually, we'll do it.

> > > If I'm right, I think the UML model is just like a cube. You can have
> > > different views on this cube by rotating it. You can zoom in and zoom
> > > out and make slices. So it is only a question of navigation.
> >
> > interesting analogy. i would certainly agree that there are different
> > dimensions to UML. in fact if you look at all the facets they satisfy
> > notations for all 5 of the 4+1 views. if you consider each of the 4+1
> > views to be a slice, then we need to really think about how we represent
> > each slice.
>
> The problem might be, that an UML modell has more then 3 dimensions, so it
> is quite hard to show it in a 3D view.

there won't be any 3d :) it was just an interesting analogy.

andy