[Uml-devel] UI for new code generator

Brian Thomas thomas at mail630.gsfc.nasa.gov
Mon Mar 10 11:52:18 UTC 2003

	I've put together a small cartoon diagraming how I would construct the
	user interface for the new code generator. I would like to largely re-use
	the layout in the current tool, simply replacing functionality of some
	windows as is needed. I believe the following functionality is needed:

	 - a tree view of all the classes that you have loaded into Umbrello. This
	   tree view is just like the current one for the "Logical View" except that
	   it omits the diagram stubs... in other words only the classes and their
	   properties are shown.

	- a language-oriented global parameter control box for code generation.
	  Things that might go in here include the style of comments to generate,
	  if you want high comment verbosity, if you want accessor methods generated, etc.
	  Part of the controls will be language specific and change based on what
	  you have selected as the current language to generate.

	- a class template control box. You should be able to override global
  	   code generation parameters for this particular class here. Class selection
	  is via the tree view (just click it). You can get a control box for attributes
	  and associations by clicking on the child attributes of the class in the tree view.

	- a code view window, which shows you what code will be generated and
 	  indicates roughly which attributes in the tree generate which parts of the
	  code. Nominally, you should be able to edit the code in this window and
	  have your edits "stick".

	I have attached a diagram which shows the layout of these boxes in Umbrello.

	Comments on this proposal are solicited!

> JR wrote:
> Brian: is there a reason why your e-mail programme indents your text like
> it does?  Makes it awfae hard to read it when it wraps round.

        Hrm. Dunno. I use kmail, pretty much in default configuration. As far as
        I can tell "wordwrap" is off. I usually (force of habit) tab each newline myself.
        Perhaps thats causing the problem??

                                                -b.t.