[Uml-devel] File format change, please update your xmi files by hand!

Sebastian Stein seb_stein at gmx.de
Thu Jul 31 06:14:02 UTC 2003

Please go on reading, if the following conditions are true for you:

1. you are using Umbrello CVS version
2. you created new XMI files with this version since the 20th July 2003
3. you are unable to load the XMI files with current CVS code

On 20th July I fixed a bug to save and load non latin1 characters correctly.
Therefor I had to change the file encoding for saving and loading. After
these changes it was impossible to load older files with non latin1 chars. This
has now been fixed.

Now on loading Umbrello tries to figure out which encoding was used.
Therefor I added a new tag to the xmi file, which marks the new encoding. If
you have created files with Umbrello since the 20th July 2003 and you are
now unable to load them, you have to add the encoding information by
yourself.

Please take your favorite text editor and open the XMI file. It starts with
the following lines:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<XMI xmlns:UML="org.omg/standards/UML" verified="false" timestamp="" xmi.version="1.2" >
 <XMI.header>
   <XMI.documentation>
	   <XMI.exporter>umbrello uml modeller http://uml.sf.net</XMI.exporter>
	   <XMI.exporterVersion>1.1.5</XMI.exporterVersion>
	</XMI.documentation>

You have to change it to the following, just adding the line above the
closing XMI.documentation tag as shown below:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<XMI xmlns:UML="org.omg/standards/UML" verified="false" timestamp="" xmi.version="1.2" >
 <XMI.header>
   <XMI.documentation>
	   <XMI.exporter>umbrello uml modeller http://uml.sf.net</XMI.exporter>
	   <XMI.exporterVersion>1.1.5</XMI.exporterVersion>
	   <XMI.exporterEncoding>UnicodeUTF8</XMI.exporterEncoding>
  </XMI.documentation>

Try to load the file. If it doesn't work, please mail me your xmi file
(please gzip/bzip2 it) and I will check what's wrong.

Umbrello UML Modeller
Description     : UML diagram drawing tool for KDE with code generation
Homepage        : http://www.umbrello.org/