[Uml-devel] Code generation: progress and a question about decodeClip5 function in umldrag.cpp

Brian Thomas thomas at mail630.gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed Jul 23 08:49:24 UTC 2003

	Hi all,

	Its been about a month, but I have been quite busy hacking away at
	the code generation system. At this point, I have the basics of the
	system created, code documents are now tied to the UMLDocument,
	and any parent objects they belong to (for example, UMLClassifiers)
	so that they are automatically updated when the parent object is changed.

	Having this functionality allows me to "re-use" the existing GUI interface so that,
	for example, when an attribute or operation is added to a class, the slot
	"syncToParent" is called for the appropriate codedocuments, and their
	code updated/re-generated. I hope to have an updated XMI document
	and a tarball of the code (rather than a CVS update at this time since
	my code only has the Java working right now) for inspection by those in
	the group who are interested.

	One question I have is that I decided to change the constructor of the UMLoperation
	class so that it requires a UMLClassifier parent object. This makes sense
	(to me) as operations may only belong to classifiers (which you will recall are
	interfaces or actual classes). The problem with making this change is that
	there is a function in umldrag.cpp that tries to instanciate UMLOperations from
	the document rather than the parent classifier. It would appear to me that it
	is there so that the user may "drag" operations from one class to another, but
	I am not sure. Can someone fill me in on what the function decodeClip5 does?

						-b.t.

--

operators on strike due to broken coffee machine