[Uml-devel] Gideon

Andrew Sutton ansutton at kent.edu
Wed Jan 29 16:49:05 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 29 January 2003 5:36 pm, Luis De la Parra Blum wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 January 2003 10:09, Sebastian Stein wrote:
> > Well, I don't like the idea of integrating Umbrello into KDevelop, I
> > think it is wrong. Let me explain. A professional software engineering
> > cicle looks something like:
> >
> > Analysis -> Design -> Implementation -> Test -> Quality Management ->
> > Documentation
>
> wrong.
> at least in the praxis is not so...
> the reality (as I've seen it) is more like
> Anlalysis>Design>Implementation>Design>Implementation>Analysis>Redesign>
> Implementation>.....

i don't think we want to get in the discussion development processes, there's
lots to choose from and the choice or process should probably match the
project. by the way, each stage of a process should yield artifacts (i.e.
requirements, designs, code, test plans, whatever). documentation is never a
phase, but a product of a phase.

i will say this: whatever processes we list, don't really pertain to open
source development. there's a considerably different development process for
open source - and since we're building a CASE tool for an open source
environment, anything we do should be tuned to help that process first and
foremost.

one thing to think about is how open source developers would actually use
umbrello. it seems unlikely to me that designing software would be high on
their list of tasks. using umbrello to understand existing software would
certainly be more frequent. i mean, this is the reason for programs like
doxygen and kdoc.

andy