[Uml-devel] quickies and not so quickies

Luis De la Parra Blum lparrab at gmx.net
Thu Jan 23 16:33:37 UTC 2003

hi all,

is there a decission yet about branching for 1.1.1 and/or 1.2 ?

I'm asking this because I imagine we will want to make a bug-fix release very
soon (maybe in 2 weeks or so) to get rid of those horrible bugs that somehow
managed to get away into 1.1 ...

on the other hand, there are some new features that are not so hard to
implement and that could be done on the current code. since 2.0 is a *long*
way I think we should not discard the option to have a branch where such
small and medium features could be added.

We all know that (if everything goes ok) the current codebase is eventually
going to get dumped in favor of the new architecture, so no one will want to
invest a big amount of time and effort on the code base, but there are some
things that are worth it, even if you know maybe next year you'll have to
port it / write it over for the new architecture.

The most inmediate example of this is the python generator that sent Vincent
and is still lying on my HD. There are also  perl, IDL and ADA writers.
This things will have to be re-written for 2.0, but they are perfect for a 1.2
release.

Another example: I just looked at the code, and in less than one hour I
implemented a feature that's more or less high in our wish-list: resize the
canvas -- most of the time went actually on changing the dialog properties
page to be UI-based (qt designer) ( I was not willing to make the lay-out
manually to insert the two extra fields I needed)

Another example: I just played around with zooming, and altough this is not as
easy as the canvas-resizing, it is not too difficult either. Most of the work
is done by QT automatically, and we only need to remember to map the view to
the canvas accordingly.

so, the question is: should we commit such things to HEAD? (current branch)

for the code generators this would be no problem, but for zooming this could
mean 1.1.1 cannot be released as soon as we'd like.

other than that sub-minor releases are only for important bug fixes, not for
new features.

I am sending the patch for the canvas resizing in case someone wants to use it
while we decide if/where I can commit it. Just right click on a diagram and
go to the properties

note: everything is working fine, but there is a question as to how to proceed
when reducing the size:  increasing the size of the canvas is completly safe
( I set the maximum to 5000 pixles), but if you reduce the size and there are
widgets left out of the canvas there is no way to reach them anymore .. they
are still there, but you cannot see them, so you have to make the canvas
bigger again, drag the widgets a little closer together and then you can
reduce the canvas again.

I can only think of two solutions: Move all the widgets that would be outside
of the canvas in direction up-left until they are in the canvas (would break
your layout)
or
the canvas can only be reduced to fit the contents. for example, if the canvas
is 5000x5000 and I have a widget at (2300,2000) then I can only decrease the
canvas size to 2300x2000

I think option 2 is much better (and much much simplier to implement)

the ui file goes into dialogs/, the patch is for the sources as of yesterday.

saludos

luis