[Uml-devel] What's next?

Sebastian Stein seb_stein at gmx.de
Mon Jan 20 12:14:07 UTC 2003

1.1 is out, that is very fine. But now I'm wondering what is coming.

First of all, we should make a 2.0 branch, but I won't do it, because I'm
not a cvs guru.

The other thing would be to maintain a 1.1 branch where only bugs get fixed,
but no new features added. Hopefully we don't need another 1.1.x release,
but we will see what bugs come to the light.

I also like to ask if we should make a 1.2 branch for those people willing
to improve the current code very quickly. I'm thinking of the new improved
association handling, the new code generators for phyton and ada. If we do
so, we should try to have a near goal for a 1.2 release (not a year again, I
think less than 6 months would be good). And we have to make sure, that all
bugfixes to the 1.1 release are also added to the 1.2 branch.

To sum it up, we should definitly do the following:

- open 2.0 branch
- only add bugfixes to 1.1 and if needed release another 1.1.1 version
- maybe open a 1.2 branch for new features in the old code base

This would give us the safety to have a well maintained current code base
even in the case, that the 2.0 redesign fails.

Let's see what you are thinking!

Steinchen

PS: Ok, my first action will be to do some promotion for the 1.1 release.
--
Umbrello UML Modeller
Description     : UML diagram drawing tool for KDE with code generation