[Uml-devel] Umbrello2

Andrew Sutton ansutton at kent.edu
Fri Feb 28 01:24:21 UTC 2003

it's fun working with people on different parts of the globe. i just fell
asleep on the couch and when i wake up at 4 a.m., i have email :)

> I think I know which picture he is referring to. That is a nice way of
> showing the relations between the different UML diagrams, and their
> dependencies. However, I am not sure how this impacts the display of a
> given UML model of a particular application, beside the fact that the
> internal machinery should help you (force you?) to keep the model
> consistent with whatever contraints you have set. I have to agree that
> in the current umbrello, the link between use cases and the other
> diagrams is quite weak...

face it - it's weak in every tool. its an idea that designers are supposed to
remember. what can we do to build our tool around it. i was thinking of using
it as a picture on the canvas of the app. clicking on some one of the boxes
would open a new window (or navigate you to) a window containing information
specific to that view or something like that. i don't know...

> The nice thing about NetBeans framework, and also Qt DockWindows, is
> that they can be torn-off and be set as normal "root" windows.
> QtDockWindows can also store this information so that at next start, it
> restores the windows positions. As Qt now also supports xinerama on
> Linux, I think the multi-monitor problem has been solved for us. We just
> need to use the right classes, and we'll get there.
> By the way, in the era of LCD screens, how do you stack 4 screens ? :-)

left to right :) my prof has an array like that in his office - of course, his
linux box only uses 2 but windows uses all 4 (boo...) :) anyway, you're right
about the dock windows. i'm just not sure what we should be putting in these
windows. toolboxes for diagrams? tree views with UML objects? gifs with
animated porn? probably not, but it might make work more fun.

> >i'm not sure about the auto-layout stuff. i'm envisioning a layout
> > pipeline with pluggable components. if i can get that defined and
> > implemented then we will have the best UML tool known to man - which is
> > my goal, by the way - and then we'll all get offered jobs by rational...
> > ooops... ibm to make rational rose work like umbrello :)
>
> or get to be your own CEO :-D

alright. we'll start a company called ingsoc and charge people an arm and a
leg for bleak predictions of the future and support for an open source
application ;) guess what movie i watched last night?

andy