[Uml-devel] Umbrello2

P. Fleury fleury at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Feb 27 23:20:01 UTC 2003

Andrew Sutton wrote:

>diagrams. he mentioned something called the "4 + 1" view, which as far as i
>can tell is a set of views (logical, deployment and 2 others) that are
>connected, in the middle, by the use case view. the idea being that the use
>case view imposes requirements on all the other views. what if that was our

I think I know which picture he is referring to. That is a nice way of
showing the relations between the different UML diagrams, and their
dependencies. However, I am not sure how this impacts the display of a
given UML model of a particular application, beside the fact that the
internal machinery should help you (force you?) to keep the model
consistent with whatever contraints you have set. I have to agree that
in the current umbrello, the link between use cases and the other
diagrams is quite weak...

>main canvas and diagrams were opened in other top level windows? docking
>stuff might be nice, but i think we should attempt to maximize the workspace.
>if the developer has 4 monitors, lets let him (or her) use them. granted "4 +
>1" only works for UML, but maybe there's an equivalent for CWM or SPEM.

The nice thing about NetBeans framework, and also Qt DockWindows, is
that they can be torn-off and be set as normal "root" windows.
QtDockWindows can also store this information so that at next start, it
restores the windows positions. As Qt now also supports xinerama on
Linux, I think the multi-monitor problem has been solved for us. We just
need to use the right classes, and we'll get there.
By the way, in the era of LCD screens, how do you stack 4 screens ? :-)

>i'm not sure about the auto-layout stuff. i'm envisioning a layout pipeline
>with pluggable components. if i can get that defined and implemented then we
>will have the best UML tool known to man - which is my goal, by the way - and
>then we'll all get offered jobs by rational... ooops... ibm to make rational
>rose work like umbrello :)

or get to be your own CEO :-D

--pascal