[Uml-devel] Umbrello2

P. Fleury fleury at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Feb 27 18:13:06 UTC 2003

Mathias Meyer wrote:

>On Thursday 27 February 2003 03:12 P. Fleury wrote:
>

>>There is one GUI I like very much, it's the NetBeans approach. You have
>>a set of little modules you can dock around, and they all represent a
>>view over some aspect of the model (in our case UML). Whenever that
>>model changes, the view updates itself. Whenever the user changes
>>something in the view, it updates the model, hence updating all the
>>other views using that particular piece of informaiton of the model.
>>

>That sounds quite nice, but where does all the space for actually editing
>the diagram go? ;)

:-) Like in NetBeans, the source editor typically takes the most screen
estate, and has also the most functionality, besides
being the part you spend most time in. So in Umbrello, the
canvas/diagram editor would be the main part. It could have
little tabs a la Excel to select easily the most recently
displayed/edited diagrams.

This framework would not prevent things like Andy's auto-diagramming,
even if that is a huge piece of soft. The only things we should make
sure is that it is possible to include such a module in the framework at
first. Then, writing it is another story...

I see:
umbrello source and framework: 50k lines of code
MOF/UML/CWM: 500k LOC
auto-diagramming: 1500k LOC
The other  150 modules: 60k LOC

So, once Andy has finished, we're almost done :-D

>Together kind of lets you do the same thing, but having more than two of
>those (for example the most common: list of uml objects and properties)
>is quite a lot of space to waste, isn't it? But if we had a good looking
>zooming, it'd be okay I guess. After all, it would be the user's choice.

It all depends on how easily configurable the GUI is. In the NetBeans
framework, you can drag/drop the different views, resize them very
easily. So you would let the properties window sit there when you need
it, and hide it when you don't. You can define several workbench
profiles, for different tasks, and from my experience, this is very
useful. My example of NetBeans is just that I have used it quite a bit,
and have not used many other IDEs (a little bit of KDevelop, and
QtDesigner).

>Regards,
>Mathias

--Pascal