[Uml-devel] mmgen update

Andrew Sutton ansutton at kent.edu
Thu Feb 27 09:20:11 UTC 2003

congratulate me: i've just about finished the complete mapping from the MOF to
C++/Qt/Umbrello :) mmgen is now about 90% complete and generates all the
interfaces, implementations, packages, associations, attributes, references
and operations (without implementations of course) for 2 of 3 metamodels. i
really don't care so much about CWM so i haven't fixed the nested package
bugs yet.

i've also resolve the standards issues - i made a mistake assuming that
navigability was what i thought it was. oops. i rolled back most of the
changes i made and fixed mmgen to work around that issue. works great (and
better!)

i've also started implementing lifecycle semantics within the generated code.
if elements are involved in composition relationships, i do my best to delete
objects when they are no longer composed - maybe that's wrong. i'm not
certain yet.

so, if anybody really wants to know what the API to UML looks like, they can
generate it and peruse the source code. i have to warn you though - there's
737 source files that consist of 113,000 lines of code that implement 620
classes spread throuh 9 subdirectories.

left on my todo list is the completion of lifecycle semantics and the
implementation of the few remaining reflective interfaces (like refMetaObject
and refMofId). also, i'm going to build some reference counting capabilities
into refBaseObject so i don't have to sweat the memory management quite so
much :) oh - and the generation of signals for things like object creation
and maybe association creation - i'm not certain (about the assocation stuff
yet)...

if anybody actually bothers to look at the generated code and has some ideas,
let me know... i'm off to school now.

andy