[Uml-devel] Umbrello2

P. Fleury fleury at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Feb 26 18:13:07 UTC 2003

Andrew Sutton wrote:

>it might take some work, but it could be alot worse (really a lot worse). the
>UML metamodel implementation has some signals built into that allows us to
>implement a pretty simple observer pattern. now, the dialogs might be
>somewhat complex - or at least tedious to build, but its certainly do-able.

There is one GUI I like very much, it's the NetBeans approach. You have
a set of little modules you can dock around, and they all represent a
view over some aspect of the model (in our case UML). Whenever that
model changes, the view updates itself. Whenever the user changes
something in the view, it updates the model, hence updating all the
other views using that particular piece of informaiton of the model.

Ideas of modules I'd like to see sometime:
- list of diagrams only
- properties of currently selected object
- list of objects in current active diagram
- thumbnail version of the current diagram

If there is a good API to the model (which will be the case, we trust
Andy :-), and there is an API for integrating a module into the Umbrello
framework, some modules might pop-up as the code generators did. A view
for this, a view for that. Note too that in NetBeans, you can decide not
to use a given view if you don't like it.

--Pascal