[Uml-devel] Improved line-object handling in Umbrello

mike wakerly mike at wakerly.com
Wed Feb 12 11:11:02 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 12 February 2003 04:19 am, Sebastian Stein wrote:
> I think you forgot to mention another thing. Line position isn't saved and
> you have to reorder them after each load. I allready tried to improve the
> code, but I think it is impossible. Because at the moment the line decides
> where it connects to an object and not the object decides where the lines
> are connected. So the whole thing is done in the wrong direction.
>
> So I really see the need for a massive improvement of the line handling
> code as well, but at the moment I don't know how to do it without breaking
> much of the code.

hi sebastian,

actually, i never closed umbrello until after i wrote that e-mail. i guess i
am in for a surprise when i re-open my project, hehe.

i think you're absolutely right; it would be a huge change. i just took a very
quick look at some of the classes and it's pretty obvious it would take me a
long time to do. plus other objects might need some modification, too.

(for instance, in 'dia' for gnome, boundary boxes on objects have anchor
points where lines will snap to... but nowhere else. i remember this solution
worked well, so long as you only wanted your line to stick to one of 4 or 6
places on the object. really you should be able to anchor your line anywhere
along the object's edge, not the square mask...)

ah well... this has my vote as most needed improvement for the diagramming
part of umbrello!

thanks again..
mike

--
mike wakerly, usc computer engineering class of 2003
http://hoho.com/mike