[Uml-devel] kdesdk/umbrello/umbrello

Andrew Sutton ansutton at kent.edu
Tue Feb 11 22:35:02 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 12 February 2003 12:23 am, Nathaniel W. Turner wrote:

> Hi, I hope my jumping in here isn't considered rude...
>
> On Tuesday 11 February 2003 03:57 pm, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> > I think I'd also like to get rid of the way that diagrams and model
> > objects are mixed together in the left hand tree view, I loose track of
> > the diagrams.
>
> Yay!  I tend to lose track of them too.
>
> > I was thinking about diagrams as being use tabs (along the
> > top), which is pretty easy to do with the new KDockWidget's that it uses.
>
> I'm not sure tabs are a good general-purpose solution to the problem of
> multiple documents.  If you have more than a few diagrams, or their names
> are slightly long, the tabs do not fit.  Also, from a usability point of
> view, vertical lists are easier to scan than horizontal lists.  I would
> suggest simply adding another branch to the "Views" tree, perhaps called
> "Diagrams"...

not that this is an answer for the present, but there are some diagram
navigation issues that i'd like to explore for 2.0. there's this idea that
one can navigate from an element in a diagram to diagrams associated with
that element - e.g., state chart diagrams for a class, sequence diagrams for
a method of a class. stuff like that.

for 2.0, it might be worthwhile to eliminate diagrams from the tree view. a
context menu on the element in the tree view might list the possible diagrams
in which the element participates.

this idea needs some real thought though. its actually a somewhat complicated
issue.

andy