[Uml-devel] news on 2.crap

Andrew Sutton ansutton at kent.edu
Thu Feb 6 13:10:05 UTC 2003

just kidding. i have good news :)

although its taken me around 6 months and 4 iterations of design and
implementation, i've finally achieved a zen-like understanding of reflection
and model/metamodel relationships - well, i understand most of it anyways.
okay, maybe just a decent chunk of it.

so what. what's that mean? well, it took me writing an implementation - or a
good chunk of one - of the MOF, reflective interfaces and the type library to
get my wrapped around it. as it stands right now my reflection, type library,
and MOF implementation covers about 130 classes and about 12,000 lines of
code. pending the implementation of about a dozen more classes and a
restructuring of the build environment, i'm going to post the initial
contribution to 2.0 in the near future - i'm aiming for sunday, but that
could change if i run into some real sticky issues.

so, what's this mean for people wanting to work on 2.0? well, basically its a
giant code review. there's plenty of places where i need exceptions thrown
and checked, memory leaks plugged and the like - maybe reference counting for
RefObject wouldn't hurt either, but if we follow the basic memory management
rules, it shouldn't be too much of an issue. also, people could start work on
the gui framework - it should basically be the MVC (model view controller).
people could also work on real implementations of the interfaces for MOF -
i've just stubbed them out for now. for example, those implementations can
now be safely derived from QObject (for signals and slots), although i didn't
do it myself (yet).

after i get this stuff done, i'm moving on to the serialization/persistence
frameworks - particularly XMI. i figured out the generic recipe for almost
unassisted XMI parsing so i should be able to build the XMI serialization
stuff in short order - maybe a week or two. after that, i'm writing the
metamodel generator so we can generate the entire UML implementation. i hope
that by the time i finish the XMI parser and the document abstraction, we
should have hammered out all the implementation details for metamodels.

speaking of UML, i found something pretty funny. the XMI specification of UML
doesn't comply to the MOF standards. they're instantiating the abstract
Model:DataType class to define structures and enumerations for UML. oops. i
guess that means we have to tweak the file to be compliant with what we know.
oh well.

andy