[Uml-devel] font size problem (fwd)

Luis De la Parra Blum lparrab at gmx.net
Thu Feb 6 12:07:15 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 05 February 2003 21:03, Jonathan Riddell wrote:

> Is there a reason why it has to ask or the user has to add them?  Would it
> be possible for the program to just accept whatever libraries and code
> generators it finds on startup?

When you install a new library, for example, my_third_party_codgen_lib then
umbrello asks as a way to inform you that it's found the new libraries. I
guess we could have umbrello just add all of the languages from the new lib
to the known languages.. but since you don't install a new library every day
I dont consider this to be a big issue.

And maybe there are some users who only want to have Cpp and Pyhton available,
and don want to have their menu full with languages they dont use, like Ada
or Java.

So, for this point I think we should leave it the way it is (ie, ask when
which languages to show in the menu)

The other point is, when you upgrade your library (or install a new one with
the same name for that matter). ..Then Umbrello wont detect the new
languages. (and this is sometimes a problem with users, because they dont
know why umbrello doesnt see their new languages)
This is because Umbrello only queries the libs it doesnt know to find out
which languages they offer. If you dont mind having a some extra overhead at
startup then I guess we could query all libraries. (I guess reading the
languages from the config file is much faster than loading and dlopening the
lib and then querying the lib.. but then again the overhead might be small
compared to the problem users have with umbrello not finding the new
languages)

For this point I am starting to think we should just query the lib everytime
and make the users happy.

luis