[Uml-devel] changes in build system

Luis De la Parra Blum lparrab at gmx.net
Tue Feb 4 12:58:09 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 04 February 2003 18:07, Jonathan Riddell wrote:

> Out of curiosity, are you able, or are you just working without KDevelop
> now?

right now I'm working without KDevelop. I used to be a big fan of it, but
since I upgraded to KDE 3.1 I fell in love with the new Kate...
automatically highliting pairs of ( ) and { } so that you know which one goes
with which one.... being able to collapse blocks of code you are not
interested in at the moment... so many other goodies I dont know how I'd been
able to live without them! =)

Seirously now.. I really love the new Kate, but  I am missing many features
from KDevelop:

* code navigation: right click on a variable or method and select -> go to
definition / declaration
* jumping directly to the method you are interested in via the class browser
* the integrated help browser
* debugger
* clicking "run" to test your changes
(now I have to type  make && su -c "make install"  )

I guess I'll have to give Gideon a try and hopefully  get the best of the two
worlds. I tried it a couple of days before alpha1 was released, and altough
it was looking good already, it was still unusable for real work at the
time... now it's been a while since alpha3 so maybe it's usable already.

luis

PS - if you wanted to know if * I am * using KDevelop, see above. If you want
to know if it is possible: I think it is. --> You can import the directory
(create a KDevelop project of the files in the directory and select "custom
make files" in the prj options. That way you'll get all the benefits of
KDevelop but it wont touch your makefiles.