[Uml-devel] UMLAssociation Problems

Brian Thomas thomas at mail630.gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue Feb 4 10:34:05 UTC 2003

Hi All,

	Well I've been trying to hack together the new UMLAssociation with the older
	AssociationWidget and AssociationWidgetData classes and have come to the
	following conclusion: its messy, ugly and not worth the effort. The reasons
 for this are many fold, but boil down to the fact that the idea of having
 *WidgetData classes is so permeated thoughout the code, that it is virtually
 impossible to remove one without going the whole distance and removing them
 all (e.g. FloatTextData, etc).

	I dont have the time or inclination to do this, and I have come to realize
 that "hacking" together a temporary solution  where both the UMLAssociation
 and AssociationWidgetData are used within the associationwidget class is
 incredibly complex. Especially so if the goal is to maintain conformance
 with loading umbrello from older XMI save files.

	My vote is now to drop using UMLAssociation class altogether for the time
 being (the 1.x series). Its a great idea that I agree with, but in order to
 use it, major, major code changes will have to be adopted. Its much better
 to adopt this in the 2.x series archetecture.

	I plan to finish my rewrite of the associationwidget and associationwidget
 data classes for umbrello 1.* series based on this understanding.  Hopefully
 I can have a patch in a day or two using this approach.

	Comments?

						=b.t.