Codegeneration patch, take '2' (Was: Re: [Uml-devel] Codegeneration patch.. updated)

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Wed Aug 27 00:33:16 UTC 2003

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 08:43:25PM +0200, Sebastian Stein wrote:
> > > There's also been lots of suggestions this week for integrating
> > > Umbrello with KDevelop (I prefer Sebastian's idea of integrating
> > > KDevelop into Umbrello).  KDevelop 3 has a nice class store that we
> > > could use apparantly.  However it's not going to happen for the next
> > > release by any means.
>
> It is funny, I haven't received this mail. SF sucks...

No e-mail discussion, or even verbal discussion.  Just Ian G and
Roberto and people keep asking if we are going to do it (and I keep
giving non-commital answers :)

> > 	Well, I guess one problem I have with integration of KDevelop is that
> > 	its geared towards just development of C++ code in KDE/QT. We have
> > 	many different code generators that dont appear to be supported (e.g.
> > 	everything else but C++) so I dont like putting alot of effort into just
> > 	improving C++ code and forgeting about the others. Or perhaps Im wrong
> > 	about KDevelop (Ive only used it minimally).. if its more general IDE that
> > 	supports ADA, Perl, Java, XML, etc, then I'd definitely say 'go for it'.
>
> It is supposed to be generic, but because the developers use it mostly for
> C++/Qt, this support has gone very far. I think after the 3.2 release we
> should do real brainstorming with the KDevelop guys. At the moment I don't
> know what they really expect from an integration besides saying they have
> built-in UML support.

KDevelop 3 (gideon) should improve support for other languages a lot.

> > 	I also want to reinterate that people should be aware that this is a major
> > 	change  to the code base, and that you can expect some significant
> > 	buggy behavior for at least the next few weeks. If you or anyone else use
> > 	the CVS version to do some real work, it would be prudent to check out
> > 	a copy before this weekend.
>
> Maybe, just maybe, before you commit it, make a tar.gz of the CVS copy and
> put it somewhere so that we can put a link on the homepage for people have
> to do their work with the Umbrello version.

This is CVS, I'll put a notice on the website front page and tell
people to
cvs co kdesdk -D "2003-08-26"
if they want something more stable.