Codegeneration patch, take '2' (Was: Re: [Uml-devel] Codegeneration patch.. updated)

Sebastian Stein seb_stein at gmx.de
Tue Aug 26 11:44:36 UTC 2003

Brian Thomas <brian.thomas at gsfc.nasa.gov> [030826 20:33]:
> 	Since you (an Sebastian?) appear to be giving the green light,  I plan
> 	to check in the code this coming weekend. From that point onwards
> 	I see much more incremental changes.

Put it in, so I only have to recompile one copy ;-)

> > There's also been lots of suggestions this week for integrating
> > Umbrello with KDevelop (I prefer Sebastian's idea of integrating
> > KDevelop into Umbrello).  KDevelop 3 has a nice class store that we
> > could use apparantly.  However it's not going to happen for the next
> > release by any means.

It is funny, I haven't received this mail. SF sucks...

> 	Well, I guess one problem I have with integration of KDevelop is that
> 	its geared towards just development of C++ code in KDE/QT. We have
> 	many different code generators that dont appear to be supported (e.g.
> 	everything else but C++) so I dont like putting alot of effort into just
> 	improving C++ code and forgeting about the others. Or perhaps Im wrong
> 	about KDevelop (Ive only used it minimally).. if its more general IDE that
> 	supports ADA, Perl, Java, XML, etc, then I'd definitely say 'go for it'.

It is supposed to be generic, but because the developers use it mostly for
C++/Qt, this support has gone very far. I think after the 3.2 release we
should do real brainstorming with the KDevelop guys. At the moment I don't
know what they really expect from an integration besides saying they have
built-in UML support.

> 	I also want to reinterate that people should be aware that this is a major
> 	change  to the code base, and that you can expect some significant
> 	buggy behavior for at least the next few weeks. If you or anyone else use
> 	the CVS version to do some real work, it would be prudent to check out
> 	a copy before this weekend.

Maybe, just maybe, before you commit it, make a tar.gz of the CVS copy and
put it somewhere so that we can put a link on the homepage for people have
to do their work with the Umbrello version.

Umbrello UML Modeller
Description     : UML diagram drawing tool for KDE with code generation
Homepage        : http://www.umbrello.org/
Bug Reports     : http://bugs.kde.org/
CVS             : kdesdk/umbrello on cvs.kde.org:/home/kde