Codegeneration patch, take '2' (Was: Re: [Uml-devel] Codegeneration patch.. updated)

Brian Thomas thomas at mail630.gsfc.nasa.gov
Mon Aug 25 22:56:02 UTC 2003

> On Monday 25 August 2003 20:23, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> > Could not find code generator.  Is the code generation library out of
> > date?
> > Please re-install libcodegenerator.
> >
> > Strange because it can see libcodegenerator.
>
>         Well, its true. You *have* to re-install the code generator
> libraries. *Why* this is true is another matter which I dont claim to fully
> understand. Perhaps its because the interface has changed (?),
> nevertheless, the klibloader *wont* pickup the codegeneration libraries
> unless you do a 'make install', otherwise it will continue to give the same
> error. A quickie way to do this, is to cd into the codegenerators
> sub-directory and issue the 'make install' command from there (I have to su
> to root first). The codegeneration libraries should be ok after that.

	Well,

	After a fun-filled evening where I tried to completely install afresh
	the patch, I have now encountered most of the issues seen by the
	rest of you. I believe the makefile changes *may* result in the problems
	with the compiling (first encountered with the codegenerator.moc.cpp
	file). Furthermore, the library problem is caused in part by an infinite loop
	in uml.cpp, whereby if the code gen library isnt found, it will simply plow
	ahead anyways, and this results in a core dump/crash. The fix isnt optimal,
	but if you keep clicking now, you can get the tool to run (Ill try to implement
	a better fix later; I just want it to run from a new user config without problems
	right now).

	I think its possible to install the code by following these steps:

	0. check out fresh cvs copy
	1. get the new patch with fixes from
                      http://nvo.gsfc.nasa.gov/Umbrello/codegenhack3.patch
	2. apply patch
	3. make -f Makefile.cvs; configure --prefix=/blah/blah
	4. cd umbrello; make; make install

	This *should* work. IF you apply the patch over an existing copy of Umbrello
	then you *should* 'make clean; make distclean' before proceeding to step 3.

	The new patch has undone the changes to the umbrello/Makefile.am and the
	umbrello/umbrello/Makefile.am. Like I have said before, Im not sure if these changes
	result in compile time errors as a result of bad dep files, but I dont get them with
	the changes reversed.

										-b.t.