[Uml-devel] what happened to umbrello2?

Andrew Sutton asutton at cs.kent.edu
Thu Aug 21 14:58:01 UTC 2003

greetings all...

as most of you know, i spent the better part of the spring and the summer
working on umbrello2. if anybody ever checked it out, you'd know that it was
an enormously large and complex project that just couldn't be done by one
person - although you can't say i didn't try. hehe.

so, i thought i'd write in and let everybody know what happened to my work and
where its going. my masters thesis is essentially the creation of a uml api
and the implementation of a layout algorithm for class diagrams. so, i'm
taking the lessons that i learned writing the original u2 object model and
creating a "mostly" platform/application independant uml api that fully
supports the mof-1.4 and uml-1.4 standard object models. moreover, i expect
to implement the reflective interfaces for these objects and build an
standards compliant xmi parser/writer for said metamodels.

the last several weeks i have been working on rewriting the code generator for
metamodel specificationslike mof and uml. its coming along nicely. i still
have to write the generation of association classes and implement the backend
on which these metamodel implementations are based (reflective interfaces,
common data types, etc). however, i expect that i should be finished with
most of this in the coming weeks (depending on my work load this semester).

how does this affect umbrello? well... when the project reaches sufficient
maturity (which isn't _too_ far off), i'd like to see it used as the data
model for umbrello. unfortunately, it will require some pretty hefty changes
such (like recoding all the dialogs, the drawing framework, etc., etc.), but
the end result should be a tool that supports every feature of the current
uml standards - and potentially some features that industry tools do not have
(like comprehensive mof support, metamodel extensions, etc.).

i'll post the code for this on my website or somewhere else convenient in the
coming weeks. if anybody has any ideas or comments, please let me know.

andrew sutton
ansutton at kent.edu