[Uml-devel] Fw: *WidgetData => *Widget merge, continued

Oliver Kellogg Oliver.Kellogg at t-online.de
Tue Aug 19 19:54:06 UTC 2003

Brian Thomas wrote:
> On Monday 18 August 2003 11:00 pm, OK wrote:
> > This unclutters the design and opens the door for getting rid
> > of the synchronizations, which I am working on right now.
>
> I should have replied to this much earlier, but was distracted.
> This merge is all well and good, but in some classes (associationwidget,
> others?) there will still be a split between widget data and the "UML"
> data, No?

Yes, I was not precise. I mean to only get rid of synchronizations
between WidgetData and Widget, not the UML representation classes
and the Widget classes.

> I advocate that the widget simply point to the UMLAssociation object
> that it 'holds' for all UML related information (obviously, the widget
> has its own fields such as the various floating text widgets it must
> keep track of).
> Also, the constructor for the widget should allow creation by passing
> it an UML object, eg.
>
> 	new AssociationWidget(UMLAssociation * assoc);
>
> The UML classes are important, and should NOT be fiddled with (esp. with the
> code generation system I have been working on) but could serve as the single
> repository for the UML information about classes, parameters, attributes and
> associations.

I agree so much that it feels eerily telepathic :-)
A further mod I'd like to make is to activate the XMI load/save of
the UMLAssociation, and trim down the UML:AssocWidget XMI info to
reference the corresponding UML:Association info.

Oliver