[Uml-devel] Fw: *WidgetData => *Widget merge, continued

Brian Thomas thomas at mail630.gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue Aug 19 10:00:07 UTC 2003

On Monday 18 August 2003 11:00 pm, OK wrote:
> 've merged most of the WidgetData classes into the corresponding
> Widget classes.
> This unclutters the design and opens the door for getting rid
> of the synchronizations, which I am working on right now.

	Hi Oliver, All,

	I should have replied to this much earlier, but was distracted. This merge
	is all well and good, but in some classes (associationwidget, others?) there
	will still be a split between widget data and the "UML" data, No? For example,
	the associationwidget has its own fields for 'name', 'visibility', 'changeability',
	etc that has to be kept in sync with the UMLAssociation object that it holds.

	I advocate that the widget simply point to the UMLAssociation object that it
	'holds' for all UML related information (obviously, the widget has its own fields
	such as the various floating text widgets it must keep track of).
	Also, the constructor for the widget should allow creation by passing it an UML object,
	eg.

	new AssociationWidget(UMLAssociation * assoc);

	The UML classes are important, and should NOT be fiddled with (esp. with the
	code generation system I have been working on) but could serve as the single
	repository for the UML information about classes, parameters, attributes and
	associations.

					-b.t.