[Uml-devel] Friend permissions between classes

Jens Krüger Jens.Krueger at frm2.tum.de
Thu Aug 7 00:14:03 UTC 2003

Am Dienstag, 5. August 2003 07:05 schrieb Oliver Kellogg:
> On 2003-08-04 13:07, Jens Krüger wrote:
> > This is a good idea, but I think you should not remove the existing
> > relations between the *Widget and *WidgetData classes. The current
> > state is a clean separation between the UML representation (in the
> > *WidgetData classes) and the KDE representation of the elements on
> > the screen (the *Widget classes).

I thougt a long time about your question and I think I found the answer.

The LinePath class seems to be the display class of the connections
between the UML objects. The graphical representation of the connection
between two UML objects should separeted from the UML object like in
the case of classes or objects. The information of the model isn't lost if
you omit the graphical representation of your model. Of course you can't see
it very well, but it is there. UML does not forbid to store the graphs of your
model, so you may also store the information about the graphs in the XMI
file.

> Yes, but what about the overlap.
> For example, the class LinePath is based on QCanvasLine.
> The primary intention of QCanvasLine is certainly the screen
> representation. However, nothing forbids its use for the UML
> representation as well. In fact, class LinePath is an example
> of this dual use.

I think, there is no need to duplicate the states. It may be, that at this time
exists a duplication, but this has to remove of course. Sometimes I have the
feeling, that the umbrello code is not very well designed, so we run allways
in some problems like this.

--

Jens Krüger