[Uml-devel] u2 diagram bs

Andrew Sutton ansutton at kent.edu
Fri Apr 18 06:25:05 UTC 2003

On Friday 18 April 2003 4:10 am, Sebastian Stein wrote:
> Andrew Sutton <ansutton at kent.edu> [030418 09:43]:
> > - dialogs for presentaiton options
> > - dialogs for data manipulation
>
> Just an idea. Wouldn't it be possible to generate these dialogs dynamically
> with the information given in the MOF? I mean there are all attributes
> described, aren't they?

probably. i think it might be better to do it by hand so we can work out some
better grouping and nicer layout.

> That would be really cool. Ok, all diagrams have a syntax. And so there are
> limitations like what association can be drawn between different UML
> objects. I'm not sure, but would it be possible to generate these rules
> automatically as well? I mean what was OCR compiler?

OCL? we don't have one yet. there are some well formedness rules, but they
aren't directly attached to anything. i think the standard basically says,
figure out where to implement these in a language of your choice.

> For storage we should really check the upcoming UML 2 version. They
> allready defined how to handle data and representation. So in the future it
> must be possible to exchange xmi files between different tools and the
> diagrams must look the same in the different tools.

can't do it. the data model for 2.0 is signifcantly different than in 1.4. so
is XMI for that matter. i say we start with 1.4 and try out our ideas this
way. when 2.0 is actually published we should be able to swap out the
underlying data models, add some stuff and be good to go in a month or two.

that reminds me. uml 1.5 has been published. i suppose i should consider
re-generating all the uml source code :)

i think i might need to revise the original plugin architecture to use kparts.
it should work a little smoother - maybe.

andy