[Uml-devel] u2 diagram bs

Sebastian Stein seb_stein at gmx.de
Fri Apr 18 01:13:04 UTC 2003

Andrew Sutton <ansutton at kent.edu> [030418 09:43]:
> - dialogs for presentaiton options
> - dialogs for data manipulation

Just an idea. Wouldn't it be possible to generate these dialogs dynamically
with the information given in the MOF? I mean there are all attributes
described, aren't they?

> my thought is that we're going to introduce a pseudo-metamodel into the core
> library to handle this stuff. its going to need to tie into the the
> reflective layer at some level for xmi integration and object-diagram
> relationships. how that's going to work, we'll have to see - i've got a
> decent idea for it. we should probably specialize the diagram types. maybe
> one plugin per diagram. that would be kind of cool. because we could build
> the whole thing piece-wise (class diagrams first :) and publish beta or minor
> releases as we finalize stuff for each type of diagram.

That would be really cool. Ok, all diagrams have a syntax. And so there are
limitations like what association can be drawn between different UML
objects. I'm not sure, but would it be possible to generate these rules
automatically as well? I mean what was OCR compiler?

> as for storage - we might be able to use the karbon14 document model - unless
> that's all svg, but i don't think it is (i haven't looked yet). essentially,
> we're storing a collection of objects that a) store display settings and b)
> optionally reference a single data element (probably via an xmi.idref xml
> attribute). if we build the diagram stuff as a psuedo-metamodel and tie it
> into the reflective layer, we can basically associate diagrams as contained
> by any object derived from RefObject (like packages and classes). that's
> good.

For storage we should really check the upcoming UML 2 version. They allready
defined how to handle data and representation. So in the future it must be
possible to exchange xmi files between different tools and the diagrams must
look the same in the different tools.

Umbrello UML Modeller
Description     : UML diagram drawing tool for KDE with code generation
Homepage        : http://www.umbrello.org/